Safe Communities Act
The Safe Communities Act is a bill currently in the Massachusetts legislature that would protect the civil rights of all Massachusetts residents by prohibiting state support for a Muslim registry and ensuring that local law enforcement does not take part in federal immigration enforcement activities such as raids and detentions based solely on immigration status.
Check out our page on the Safe Communities Act here!
The Amherst Sanctuary movement is making its final push to pass one of the strongest Sanctuary laws in the country at the April 26 Town Meeting! For a summary of the Amherst Sanctuary Bylaw, read the factsheet here. You can also read the full and most recent text of the bylaw. Take action by sharing this petition within your networks and signing up here to call Town Meeting members, attend a teach in and art build, or take part in Warrant Discussions. You can stay up-to-date with the latest on the Amherst Sanctuary movement by joining the Facebook group here.
Resources on Safe Municipalities
- Sanctuary Cities Are Safe From Trump
- Trump’s Threat to Cut Sanctuary City Funding: What He Can and Can’t Do
- Trump’s Sloppy, Unconstitutional Order on ‘Sanctuary Cities’
- Why Sanctuary Cities Are Safer
- Cambridge Trust Resolution – In June 2014, the city council of Cambridge MA reaffirmed its status as a sanctuary city and resolved to support the Massachusetts TRUST Act (similar to the current Safe Communities Act).
- UMass Lowell Sanctuary Campus Petition – Students at UMass Lowell and other UMass campuses are organizing to demand that all members of the university system become sanctuary campuses. During discussions with students, administration has remained neutral in declaring sanctuary campus status, citing reasons such as the potential loss of federal funding to the UMass system. Despite avoiding declaring UMass campuses as sanctuary campuses, administration is extremely conscious of student sentiment and promises to continue to support and protect all students to the highest reasonable degree.
- (February 17) Student Strike for Sanctuary – Students at UMass Amherst did not attend class and gathered for teach-ins, community building, speakers, and group work to educate themselves on resisting the continued and intensified oppression immigrants face in the United States. They learned about how to join and strengthen existing direct action networks, how to establish and maintain one on campus, and how to make the university a real sanctuary. They also took the day off from financially supporting UMass.
Sanctuary in the Streets
Sanctuary in the Streets is the rapid response team of Western Massachusetts, a new solidarity network to protect all people of the Pioneer Valley from acts of hate and from deportation. Members of the network will receive emergency emails and texts that notify them of peaceful public actions in response to immediate needs. AFSC is a part of the network, which is organized by the Pioneer Valley Workers Center and will be called upon to bear public witness to active deportations, to hold quick-response public rallies against acts of hate, and to respond to injustice in ways that we cannot yet know. PVWC is working on finalizing plans for a 24-hour Hotline number to receive reports of deportations and acts of hate.
- (December 16) Call to Action: Protect ALL Undocumented Immigrants
- (January 23) Build the Resistance: Sanctuary in the Streets Movement Meeting
- (January 27) Emergency Rally for Immigrant Rights: Unite and Resist!, (January 27, MassLive) At immigrant rights emergency rally, Springfield residents voice solidarity with refugees
- (Feb 6) Build the Resistance: Potluck and Meeting
- The 287(g) Program: An Overview
- The Troubled History of the 287(g) Program
- United Against Muslim Ban
- The Biblical Roots of Contemporary Sanctuary Cities
- The Welcome Project (Somerville)
- Somerville Hosts Sanctuary City Rally
- Somerville Mayor On CA Statewide Sanctuary Bill
- New Orleans Sanctuary City Policy (September 22, 2016)
- Letter to senators from the Law Enforcement Immigration Task Force explaining concerns of local law enforcement
- Miami-Dade’s Policy of Holding Inmates for ICE Is Unconstitutional: Florida Judge
- ICE Arrests Green Card Applicants in Lawrence, Signaling Shift in Priorities
- Massachusetts heavily reliant on immigrant workers
- ‘Come and get me,’ Somerville mayor says to sheriff calling for arrest of sanctuary city leaders